Friday, July 6, 2012

ARC Review: Ever Fire (A Dark Faerie Tale #2)

Author: Alexia Purdy
Genre: YA Urban Fantasy Romance
Release Date: July 9, 2012
Series: A Dark Faerie Tale
Rating: 4 Stars out of 5
BlurbThe Serenity of the Land of Faerie is threatened as the Unseelie Queen Aveta rages war against the three remaining Seelie Realms of Faerie. As Shade's powers grow, she finds she is running out of time to keep the war from spilling into the human world. Winter is growing in strength as the evil Queen's horrifying legions scar the land in their frigid wake. No one is safe. Shade becomes enemy number one for the Unseelie legions. Questioning her true role of power, Shade discovers the cost of winning may come at a much higher price than she ever imagined.


I am so happy that Alexia sent me this amazing book to review. Ever Fire is my *first* official ARC review, but I have 15+ coming within the next three months that I can't wait to share with you all. *squee!*

This book releases this Monday, July 9th so if you haven't read this series, you have the weekend to catch up for FREE Ever Shade: A Dark Faerie Tale #1 on amazon.

*minor spoilers from Ever Shade*


Ever Fire is the second book in the Dark Faerie Tale series and boy does Ms. Purdy pull you in! This book starts out with Shade having nightmares of her previous quest. Dylan is living with Shade because of the Blood Binding (and only after careful manipulation of Shade's mom) giving him the opportunity to support and help Shade adjust to her new life.

Shade is learning to cope with her new-found powers by training with the lovely Ilarial, strengthening her water control and experimenting with fire. She is also bettering her self-defense, learning about weapons from Dylan and sparing with Soap. Soap is still no Dylan, but I sure would suds him up! Ban pun...sorry. ;)

Dylan is called back to the Queen of the Teleen and unfortunately leaves us for most of this book, but his departure is necessary for Shade's growth. Also, the evil queen and her army are finally real and making their way for the world Shade loves.

Throughout this book Shade must meet with a Prince, handle death, learn of her family, pay the price of love, and test her own commitment to Faerie.

Down to the Nitty

Ms. Purdy really allows Shade to grow in this book. Even though she isn't yet decisive in her personal relationships, Shade's tone is a bit more mature - which I really appreciated. And can I just say that I ADORE Dylan?! Yum!

I had a love/hate relationship with Shade and her growth process, but it was that of a typical teenager - two steps forward and...you know the rest. Also, there was a bit lacking in why an explanation was given, or maybe it was just the "how" that was off. Conversations sometimes seemed forced or too informative, not quite realistic of what you would shout during an ambush. And it was a bit confusing because there were times when an explanation (of a new Faerie creature or power) wasn't given and the story just flowed.

Overall, I really enjoyed the darker elements to this story, which sneak up at the end. I really hope to see more of them continuing in the series. I also enjoyed learning more about Faerie and the creatures within.

There are still a lot of questions to be answered after Ever Fire and I am DYING to get my hands on Ever Winter, which releases in 2013. I would suggest reading this series, my friends! 

*Thank you to Alexia Purdy and Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing for sending this ARC to me. You guys are wonderous!*

No comments:

Post a Comment