Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Review: Happily Never After (Night Huntress #1.5)

3.5 out of 5 Stars
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Rating: 3.5 Stars out of 5
Series: Night Huntress
Blurb:
Isabella Spaga is about to reluctantly walk down the aisle with Mr. Dangerously Wrong…but not if dashing vampire Chance has anything to say about it. As a favor to Bones, Chance has come to derail this wedding of beauty to the beast. Now if only he can keep his hands off the bride. It’s the wedding of the season…that everyone wants to miss.


For those of you who haven't read Jeaniene Frost - pick up any of her books immediately as she is an amazing author with compelling, sexy characters and intricate storytelling.

That being said, Happily Never After is one of her short stories revolving around Chance, a character met in her series Night Huntress (I'll be re-reading these books and posting my reviews soon) with cameo's from leading man (err...vampire) Bones.

Brief Summary: Isabella, a family restaurant owner, is engaged to a wanna-be Italian mobster, but not by choice. Mob guy is holding Isa's brother, Frasier, hostage and in return for her hand, he will release him. Cue Chance, a sexy, tough vamp here to save the day as a favor to his Sire (Bones). But Chance had no idea his hands would literally be full of Isa by the end of this book.

If you'd like to continue reading the review of this book, please click continue after the page jump.

Being a short story, this was obviously a very fast read. I loved both protagonists and think the storyline had great potential. It was an enjoyable read, however I definitely had some issues.

I hate to say it, but this book was about 50% overpriced at $1.99. I payed it thinking it MUST be great and a unique short, plus I love Jeaniene Frost so what's to lose? I'm glad I read it - but if I were you, it's not worth the buy. Especially because it's not adding anything to the Night Huntress series. You won't be missing any sort of storyline by completely skipping this book and that's the only way I can justify a short costing more than several full length books I've read.

I also thought that the ending was just thrown together. I have read some great short stories that don't leave the reader feeling like we skipped something or missed a relationship step...but this story did just that. I guessed the ending straight away and wasn't surprised by really anything in the book.

I did LOVE Isa's grandmother, Greta. She was spunky and unique - like I said, LOVE. Also, Chance and Isa were super cute together. I enjoyed reading the little bit I got to about them. I just love Chance period - even in the NH books I loved him. I also enjoyed Isa not knowing about Chase's vampirism until later in the book. It made complete sense to me that Greta didn't confide in her granddaughter about the super natural world. I mean, I couldn't imagine my g-ma telling me something like that! I would think she was off her rocker.

If you're looking for a quick, fun read, and aren't bothered by the price tag, I would suggest this book - but you could just as easily save your $2 and spend it on the first novel in Frost's NH series - Halfway to the Grave.

*This book is a short story from the Weddings From Hell anthology (in print). Single short story only available as eBook.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love the Night Huntress series. I haven't read this novella though. I think I'd still pay the two bucks just to spend a little time in the Night Huntress world. Thanks for the review and congrats on your new blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I love your blog and have sent so many friends over to you! :)

      Delete